Monday, May 30, 2011

Taking Care of Charlie by Amber Kell

Blurb:

Book one in the Yearning Series

Charlie is surprised to discover the love of his life isn’t is straight as he always thought.

When Charlie moved to the big city to get away from small town life and explore his sexuality, little did he know the man he’d always yearned for didn’t just happen to move to the same area.

Marcus James had come to continue his lifelong goal of taking care of Charlie.

Buy link

Excerpt:

The sound of beeping brought me out of my deep sleep. Blinking, I tried to clear my vision.

White.

Everything was white.

The walls, the ceiling, the uniform of the woman leaning over me—all white. But it was the smell that gave it away.

Hospital.

I really hated hospitals.

“You’re awake,” she said with a wide smile, as if it were a major accomplishment to blink my eyes.

Ouch.

Okay, maybe it was an accomplishment.

“You had us worried.”

Who had I worried? I didn’t exactly see hordes of people wringing their hands and crying over me. It was nothing like the movies. There was only the two of us, and she didn’t look worried. She looked calm and collected. Her hands smoothed over the covers as she talked to me.

I resisted the urge to slap them away.

I hated being fussed over.

“How did I get here?” As soon as the words left my mouth I wanted to take them back. Even I knew this was the work of my boyfriend, Isaac. The guy I thought was the one. Stupid me fell for his sexy smile and bad boy looks. Isaac wasn’t a bad boy. He was an asshole with really hard boots and the occasional baseball bat. Too bad I accidentally set it on fire. It was a signed edition and everything.

Hmm, maybe that could explain why I was here.

The perky nurse clamped her lips tightly together. I had the impression she didn’t want to tell me why I was here or how I got here or anything that might make me completely and totally freak out.

“You were injured. Do you remember anything at all?”

Of course.

Why wouldn’t I remember?

I searched my mind for the details of the event that led to my hospital visit. I had no doubt it was Isaac’s fault. It wasn’t the first time he’d sent me here, but I vowed it would be the last. I wasn’t one of those poor saps who thought if he licked his boyfriend’s boots a little better maybe he wouldn’t beat the crap out of him.

I’d already forgiven him once, but that old saying spun around in my head. Fool me once, shame on you—fool me twice, shame on me. This was my twice and I was done.

As I lay there coping with the pain raging throughout my entire body, the image of the perfect man drifted into my drug-soaked mind.

“I want Marcus.” My voice was barely above a whisper, but the nurse heard me. She turned back with a curious glint in her pretty brown eyes.

“Who’s Marcus?”

“My…” For the life of me, I couldn’t remember who Marcus was. I only knew he was important. Isaac must have slammed me to the ground harder then I remembered. Images flashed in my mind of a tall blond with golden brown eyes and an easy smile. I knew if I called him, Marcus would come. “My friend,” I said finally, because whatever he might be, I knew somehow he was my friend. The love I felt towards the image in my mind made me wonder if there was more than one reason Isaac beat the crap out of me.

http://amberkell.wordpress.com/

1 comment:

  1. Hi Judie....and Tara!!

    *sigh*

    What a great excerpt!!

    *gimme hands*

    *wink*

    ReplyDelete