Saturday, August 8, 2009

RETROSPECT by SARAH L. COLTER

BUY YOUR COPY HERE


Retrospect is a story of three men, three friends as they march through time. Rewind is Shelby's story, his infatuation with Micah, his friendship with Tim, and his irrepressible gay lifestyle. He is incredibly smitten with Micah, but when Micah takes him out on his boat for their first love tryst, disaster strikes! Odd Man Out is Tim's account. Tim finds himself very attracted to Shelby and Micah, but when a bullet misses him, he has to find a safe place, which just happens to be with Micah and Shelby. He can't help feeling like a third wheel, which makes Tim feel even more excluded.

1969 is Micah's story, all about his retro apartment, his love for Shelby, and their need to care for their friend Tim. Even as the three friends learn to live, and love together, even more people are brought into their life by a chance accident. Can they find a way to make all of the pieces of their puzzle fit together?

Excerpt

Retrospect is a story of three men, three friends as they march through time. Rewind is Shelby's story, his infatuation with Micah, his friendship with Tim, and his irrepressible gay lifestyle. He is incredibly smitten with Micah, but when Micah takes him out on his boat for their first love tryst, disaster strikes! Odd Man Out is Tim's account. Tim finds himself very attracted to Shelby and Micah, but when a bullet misses him, he has to find a safe place, which just happens to be with Micah and Shelby. He can't help feeling like a third wheel, which makes Tim feel even more excluded.

1969 is Micah's story, all about his retro apartment, his love for Shelby, and their need to care for their friend Tim. Even as the three friends learn to live, and love together, even more people are brought into their life by a chance accident. Can they find a way to make all of the pieces of their puzzle fit together?
Sample

Rewind: Shelby

The mirror wasn’t kind to me on that cheerless September morning in the year 2000. Blowing my hung-over reflection a raspberry that made enough noise to give me a headache, I turned to the shower for help.

It had been one hell of a party. In hindsight, it dawned on me that we had celebrated Kerry ‘Sunshine’ Sutton’s twenty-fifth birthday a little too elaborately. I wondered how many of the other guests were waking in similar conditions, or worse. The running water sounded like boulders crashing down a mountain, and my neck ached from the boneless slump in which I had slept. I had no idea how I had gotten home. I assumed that Micah or Tim -- or perhaps it had been a combined effort -- had dragged me into my tiny trailer and, because they were as drunk as I, dumped me onto my short sofa instead of tucking me safely into bed. I had awakened with my head on the high armrest, my neck strained beyond its limitations.

I rolled my head around beneath the spray as I applied shampoo to my mop of dark hair. It was so thick and had grown so long that I also needed a handful of conditioner to ensure that a comb would pass through it without snapping in half. My hair was seriously wild when I neglected it.

In front of the dreaded mirror again, I also conditioned my face with razor, tweezers, lotion, concealer, foundation, lipstick, mascara, eyeliner, and rouge. Keeping the five-o’clock shadow under control took a massive amount of upkeep. I doubted that few women and fewer men went through this kind of time-consuming, tedious daily routine, but no matter how miserable I felt, I never slacked on days that I had to work. I paused to evaluate my handiwork and gave my image a semi-satisfied nod of approval. A boy had to look good for those C-Mart customers.

I gagged down a cup of coffee and a glass of water before gathering my essentials: snack crackers, coke, purse, jacket, and keys. I couldn’t get my piece of shit Mazda to start, so after slamming the door and kicking the front tire, I began to walk the four blocks to the convenience store where I worked.

The nightshift clerk had gone home. It was Wednesday, which meant truck day. When the delivery came in, I groaned and prayed for strength.

Micah Trinket’s arrival was the first bright spot in my day. He was in uniform, so he was either on his way to work at the Sheriff’s office or to testify in court. He came to the counter to give me his most charming, dark-eyed grin. “How’s your head?” he asked.

“I need some aspirins,” I answered, rolling my eyes. “I knew I had to work today. I don’t know what came over me. How are you holding up?”

“I’m good.” He winked at me, and my dick throbbed in response. I doubt that it had ever been a secret that I lusted after him. He was so utterly gorgeous that immediately upon meeting his gaze, I was enraptured to the point of making a fool of myself. I blew him a kiss. He caught it in his hand and stirred it into his coffee. “I have to go,” he said.

1 comment: